October 02, 2014, 09:28:18 AM
  Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wing Chun bad reputation? It is not true!  (Read 27821 times)
smider

« on: August 10, 2008, 09:07:21 AM »

I think your initiative is very good, Wing Chun must fight and compare with others fighters. But i'm in disagreement with a sentence i have seen in your article. This : I love the art of Wing Chun and I think that it has a very bad reputation in the modern era .
Where is very bad reputation? I think the opposit to this. A lot of blast derive from the aggressiveness that Wing Chun have had in the past against other style. I think this style is, instead, very loved and verry regarded. I will say more: The success that wing chun have had have caused a lot of envy. This is true because some Martial art are tryng to go in the tipical wing chun territory: selfdifence. You can listen everywere Bjj people sell his art usefull for selfdifende. Roll in a ground for minutes can't be the solution in a streefight. But they try sell this in this way! They attack wing chun because it is a buisiness concurrent.
WIng chun hasn't a bad reputation. Wing Chun a terrible concurrent for other martial art.

Sorry for my english that i will try to improve!

hello
the pint

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »

Hi!

Unfortunately wing chun does have a bad reputation amongst modern marital artists, and this seems to center around the fact that wing chun has never had any success in the UFC or other high profile MMA tournaments.

The wing chun vs. UFC/MMA argument is not something that anyone needs to go into here. Im sure that every possible comment has already been made. Until wing chun has a significant success in this arena, the bad reputation will remain.
Whether justified or not.

My opinion is that wing chun is an excellent fighting system. The reputation amongst MMA viewers doenst interest me.

Something that you said in your comments though about BJJ are simply wrong - BJJ is not about rolling around on the ground. There is so much more to BJJ, and your comment highlights your limited understanding. BJJ is a very effective system and the grappling/control trained within BJJ is something that all martial art students can learn from. The strategy of a bjj fight is something again that all students can learn from. The training methodology of BJJ is top class.

Please dont get me wrong, Im not trying to start an argument. I just think that you should be open minded.

Wing chun is a great style. BJJ is a great style. They compliment each other in many ways, and if you want to be an effective fighter, wing chun stand up fighting and grappling is great, but you really need to know what to do if you find yourself on the floor.

I really dont think that a top BJJ fighter is going to take a streetfight to the floor. But this is the comment people always make to dismiss BJJ.

Just like the comment that wing chun has never won the UFC by MMA fans dismissing wing chun.

Trust your gut instinct, but keep an open mind.

all the best
smider

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 06:30:46 AM »

Dear pint,
I think the most part of martial arts have bad reputation if you consider the ufc/mma result! This can't be the measure. For ufc/mma parameter all Kung Fu style and most part of the other oriental martial art have had bad result.
I have wrote here for this. I think that mentality must to change. I hope Wing Chun will go to fight with beatufil results in mma, but when all is said and done i don't care to much. MMA is sport. Wing Chun isn't it. We must understand it. We can't to be influenced to a great buisiness that made fashion like the mma/ufc circle.
I think you with your arguments support this wrong mentality. Most part of martial art isn't interested at ufc/mma. Most part of martial haven't had succes in ufc/mma circle. Why this bear upon only on wing chun men!?!?

Accept me for my bad english, please  Grin...
Without controversy! hello
the pint

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 09:57:53 AM »

Oh no - I have re-opened the wing chun vs. UFC/MMA debate.

Were the Beimo matches that crowned wing chun the street fighting art of hong kong sport?
smider

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 11:35:50 AM »

Oh no - I have re-opened the wing chun vs. UFC/MMA debate.
Where? Why? Surely you, I'haven't do it
Were the Beimo matches that crowned wing chun the street fighting art of hong kong sport?
Then...            ?

I have said: most part of Martial arts don't take part in ufc/mma events but only wing chun men care about this!
I want to say this only... !
the pint

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »

I understand what you are saying, and can accept that success in UFC is not the goal of martial arts. Its not mine.

I was just pointing out that the failure to succeed in UFC was the reason why wing chun has a bad reputation. It doenst have a bad reputation with me, I study nearly every day.

But it is unnecessary to criticise BJJ for this! Saying BJJ is no good for self defense, that rolling on the ground is not the answer to self defense. This is unnecessary, and not true.

There have been a few situations I have been in the past where I wish I knew BJJ!
In BJJ there is the choice of taking the fight to the ground or not.
In real life, the same choice exists. If the ground situation is unfavourable, it would be a bad choice. A stand up grapple would be effective.

However, there are many fights where the ground situation is not a choice, it just happens. In this situation, where you find yourself on the ground not by choice, to know how to fight from the ground is advantageous. It could save your life.

Now that is what I call self defense.

Im with you about wing chun, Im just not with you about your comments on bjj and mma.

But I dont hold it against you  Wink
Yoshiyahu

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »

20 Years ago here in Missouri Wing Chun got a very bad reputation. Because My Sifu's Teacher use to have them fight other schools. They would go an visit other Martial Art Schools an challenge the students an Sifu's My Sifu's Wing Chun Brother fought another Sifu and won. At the time he was a beginner at Wing Chun. But he had decades of Five Animal and Five Element training along with Karate. So His foundation was pretty strong to begin with. But I spoke with one of students of another Kung Fu School who had to fight against my Sifu's brothers. He was sad about that. He felt it wasn't right. He wasn't up for fighting the wing chun school I guess. But the Guy who use to organize the fights moved I think to california. But for years the Martial Arts community hated that Wing Chun School because to them they were arrogant. They went around town challenging people to fight. Besides the fact alot of them won. If they didn't win they would pay for it by holding a stance for hours an getting hit by a cane if they got out of stance. Along with endless Arm Conditioning exercises.

But most Martial Artist now and days atleast here in Missouri do not want their students fighting.

I went to a Wing Chun School in St.Charles. they do a pretty hard work out. You will definite become strong. But we did no Chi Sau or Sparring. We did a couple of partner drills but no Freestly Chi Sau or light sparring.

The Sifu told me after a couple of months when everyone gets use to me I could spar with them. But I was only there for the introductory free class to see how close it match up to my Wing Chun Class!
  Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: