September 18, 2014, 04:44:34 PM
  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: bullshido.net/forums  (Read 76341 times)
8bit

« on: August 29, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »

Have an of you people been to the bullshido forums? They knock WC a lot over there and have throwdowns where they get together and spar. I was considering telling them about these forums, but instead - since they are so irreverent, I thought I would tell you guys about them and see what happens. One thing is that WC has a complete lack of any defense against the shoot, very very little long range fighting, and nothing for the ground except ground n pound. Now in a real situation, getting tangled up on the ground is a very terrible situation, but then again as a BJJ person reasoned with me and I agree, that is exactly why it needs to be studied.

Why are there no videos of fights on this forum; why is it so dead around here?

Listen Israel, the great god YHWH is one YHWH!
Sir Bustalot

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:51:53 PM »

Ive seen it. They knock on alot of kung fu

It almost made me choose a different martial art before i started haha(before i did some more re-search)

if you only looked at that web site, youd think WC is one of the crappy'er martial arts out there

WC sure isnt represented well. But neither is alot of other martial arts. Karate, Tae kwon do,  judo etc etc all are made to look bad on that site....i still havent figured out what they think is the best, cuz they seem to think everything sucks.

but i wasnt brave enough to post anything WC related due to the negative repsonse i would have gotten, seems like a site dedicated to making everyone look like dickheads....
Southpaw
Wing Chun Fight Club Member

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »

I post on there a lot and generally speaking they are pretty reasonable as long as you are not making any crazy claims.

There are actually a few Admins/Mods over there who have been doing wing chun for a very long time. 

Whether we want to admit it or not, wing chun has earned a reputation of being a sh*tty martial art due to the fact that so many wing chun practioners can't fight for sh*t.  While I don't think it is wing chun that is sh*tty, I can't argue with the fact that many wing chun people suck.

8bit

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 02:04:04 PM »

dedicated to making everyone look like dickheads....

Quoted for truth. They are essentially dedicated to being fanboys for the gracies, though they claim to be about exposing fraud. They prefer BJJ first, Muay Thai second, Judo third, maybe karate next. Tai Chi occasionally gets some respect there due to tai chi guys winning and participating in MMA fights. You have to admit, the philosophy that in order to get good at fighting, one must fight is a great philosophy and sadly one that is not shared by most of the wing chun world.

Have any of you gone to one of their throwdowns?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:12:07 PM by 8bit » Logged

Southpaw

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »

I've gone to a couple throwdowns and they were fun.

8bit

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:12:54 PM »

Do you have any videos of it?

Southpaw

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 05:25:12 AM »

I do not.

I wasn't the one taking any video.

8bit

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »

thats too bad. I'm glad you had a good time. What did you learn?

Southpaw

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 05:08:08 AM »

I learned that some karate black belts can kick me in the head.

Seriously...I've had few opportunities to face really good kickers but actually did pretty well all things considered. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:08:04 AM by Southpaw » Logged
8bit

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »

Looks like you had more of a post there at one time. So, you learned that people can kick you in the head (sulk), not that you need to work on your kick defense. Maybe on bridging the gap. I guess one comes before the other then. . .

There has to be a major psychology difference between the psychology of most Wing Chun people and people who spar. Why do people choose the chun? Is it because it is unashamedly marketing itself as the one true super secret source of superdeadly in which one can be girly and one can avoid force against force? Is it because it's a "thinking man's art?" Maybe wing chun people are looking for some gentle validation. In reality, initial testing of any untested skill against a real life scenario is a humiliating and akward experience. It happens over and over and is part of daily life. That does not contradict validation, it confirms it. Super secret Wing Chun in many people's hands is just afraid of it's illusions being shattered by validation with real life as the test.

Southpaw

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 08:32:43 AM »

I really do think that to some extent wing chun has been the victim of excellent marketing, thus attracting people who are not really interested in bleeding while they learn how to fight.

Hell...we've got Bruce Lee!

CLF Devil

連還插拳 - Can You Stop It?

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »

Dude, IMHO it's not just Wing Chun that has suffered the same fate. I have seen DnD nerds, weaklings, performers, and general immature kids who hate to get hurt in Choy Lay Fut, Hung Kuen, and others.

I say bring back the pain and hardcore training methods. Weed out the weak.

攻裏有防 , 防裏有攻 - 蔡李佛武功

"Learning gongfu is like rowing a boat upstream. As long as you continue rowing, you make progress. However, the minute you stop, you not only stop making progress, but you begin to move backward. - Sifu Mak Hin Fai
jdsgungfu

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 10:31:22 AM »

Strength is not the only method of survival you know..... there is also wit and cunning.

Ahmitofo
Yoshiyahu

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 11:00:09 AM »

CLF you are right. Many are afraid to fight. They fear hard work an hard training. Very Few can endure what it takes to be true wing Chun Man. I practice Wing Chun for three years before I even claimed WC. But my Brother has a couple of students who have been training for a little under six months. An they have stop coming to class. Now they say they are teaching others Yoga and Wing Chun. None of them even knows Sil Lim Tao. They do not have that many drills. An they only have Dan Chi Sau. No Luc Sao or anything. Besides that claiming to be Yoga instructors. They can not even do a split. One of them can barely sit in a half lotus.
jdsgungfu

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 07:41:39 AM »

Yoshiyahu, what is "luc sau"? I know lots of wing chun, but there are still many drills and techniques I haven't learned yet.

Ahmitofo
  Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: